Google announced “Live Translated Captions” for Google Meet in 2021 as a beta. The live translation was a much-needed feature in Google Meet and it’s now finally rolling out. Google is making live translated captions available generally for Google Workspace accounts. The Meeting participants can now easily translate the meetings from one language to another.
You can translate English meetings to the following languages in the caption:
The Translated captions are available on both mobile and desktop versions of Google Meet.
Why Live Translated Captions are Important?
Language proficiency can be a barrier for many people and to make video meetings more inclusive and collaborative, Live Translated Captions are important. With this feature, the participants will be able to translate what the presenter is saying in a language they can understand and make conclusions/decisions. Sharing information, learnings, views, and collaboration will be easy and effective for every participant. In addition, this feature will be helpful for any meetings, training, educational presentations, students, teachers, parents, company stakeholders, and anyone who participates in multi-lingual meetings.
Beta Availability: The beta version of live translated captions will still remain open for the next few months.
Availability for Meeting Participants: All Meeting participants will now be able to make use of live translated captions if meetings are created by a participant using the beta version or a Google Workspace user.
- Admins: No admin control for Live Translated Caption feature.
- End users: Available by default can be enabled in Google Meet or Gmail.
To enable this feature on Desktop:
- Go to Settings
- Click on Captions
- Click on Translated captions
To enable this feature on Mobile:
- Go to Settings
- Tap Captions
- Tap Live Captions
- Tap Translation Language
- Within 15 days starting from Jan 12, 2022.
- Available: Google Workspace Business Plus, Enterprise Plus, Enterprise Standard, the Teaching and Learning Upgrade, and Google Workspace for Education Plus customers.
- Not available: Google Workspace Essentials, Business Standard, Business Starter, Enterprise Essentials, Google Workspace for Education Fundamentals, Google Workspace for Education Standard.
- Not available: Google Workspace Individual customers or personal Google Accounts