You probably heard about Google Keep, a free and straightforward note-taking product from Google itself. If you’re interested in it but don’t know if it can suffice your needs, we’re here to help. This guide will deliver the necessary information regarding the particular service and how to use it on a Mac.
Google Keep Notes – What is it?
Google Keep is a free service released way back in 2013. In its early versions, it was only an Android exclusive; however, the company pushed it to other devices as well in later years.
Keep is a free note-taking service from Google that’s available for mobile devices and the web. As per this writing, there are no limitations on how many notes you can create in a single account. Speaking of it, Keep is part of the Google Workspace suite as a free product and uses Google Services Account login.
Functions – What can I do with it?
While Google Keep has a simple interface, you can still be productive and create more stuff than you can imagine.
In the past, Keep only supports basic notes; however, that changed a long time ago. The current version supports notes, images and recordings attachments, checklists, subtasks, reminders, drawing, and even OCR from document images. Indeed, it’s more sophisticated now than it was ages ago.
In terms of accessibility, it usually comes preloaded as stock apps to most Android devices. It’s a great experience on mobile, but not so on desktops. If you want to learn the best way to use Google Keep on macOS, please read until the end.
How to Use Google Keep?
Google Keep is very straightforward on mobile devices. However, you can benefit from learning about its web version. With this in mind, let’s use its website to illustrate the basics of Keep.
1. Create or Edit Notes
Creating and editing a note in Keep requires only a few steps. To compose a note, please follow the process:
- Click the “Take a note” input area on the homepage.
- After that, a popup should appear.
- Type something in the text area provided in the popup.
- After typing your note, you can either click the “close” button or outside the popup. It will automatically save and sync on your devices.
If you want to edit a note, it should go like this:
- Search or scroll through your notes list to find something that you want to modify.
- After that, tap the note you want to open.
- A popup will appear containing the note.
- Click anywhere in the text and start editing.
- Once you’re done editing, click “close” or outside the popup to exit editing mode.
- Keep will automatically save any detected changes on your account.
2. Organize Notes
The organization of Google Keep is quite fun compared to the competition.
- Change each note’s color by clicking the “palette” icon and selecting a color. It adds contrast, which makes it easier to distinguish notes from each other.
- Use tags or labels by selecting the three-dotted menu at the end of the popup. It allows you to type a new label or choose from existing ones.
- You can also rearrange the notes by dragging them wherever you want. The notes will automatically adjust and fill other empty spaces on the homepage.
3. Create Checklists
Recent updates made a long-awaited feature for Keep, checklist. However, unlike Simplenote, it allows you to create Subtasks under each checkbox. To create one, please be guided accordingly:
- Open the same “Take a note” input area on the homepage.
- In the modal popup, look for and click the three-dotted menu.
- Select the option for “Show tick boxes.”
- After that, an option to add a checkable item is visible.
- Press your keyboard’s “enter” key to add another.
- If you want to create a subtask, hover your mouse cursor on the beginning of an item, and a six-dotted button will appear.
- Drag it on the right and witness it as it turns into a subtask of the item above it.
- Once done, hit the “close” button or anywhere on the page to save and close.
4. Set Reminders
You can also set a reminder for a note in Keep. To create one, please follow the following steps:
- Click the “Take a note” input area on the homepage.
- Look for the “bell” icon on the popup.
- Click it and set a date, time, and recurrence.
- You can also select a location wherein it will send a push notification whenever it detects you’re in that particular place.
5. Share Notes
Sharing and collaboration is also a loved feature in Keep. You can use it to share grocery lists with family, track projects, and many more. Regardless, to share a note, the process should look like this:
- Look for the share icon (the 2nd icon next to reminders).
- Click the icon and start typing the email of the person you want to share a note with.
6. Delete or Archive Notes
Note deletion has a security measure to avoid accidental data loss. If you want to delete a note, it should go like this:
- Open a note and look for the three-dotted menu.
- Inside it, select the “Delete note” option.
- Once clicked, the note is deleted and transferred into the “Bin” section in the hamburger menu.
- In the “Bin” section, you can select a note to delete forever or restore.
Google Keep Notes for Mac
Google Keep, while a fantastic service, still doesn’t have a native application for macOS. If your workflow is bothered by this, you’re in luck. Meet Boxysuite.
Boxysuite is the best way to access and utilize the power of Google’s services in your Mac.
We believe that your notes, emails, and calendars deserve a dedicated place in your work machine. As a result, we’ve created the best Mac App for Google’s Gmail, Calendar, and Contacts. Luckily, we’ve recently added support for Keep, so your notes are easily accessible on your computer.
Minimalism and Productivity
Using a browser to access Keep can easily distract you. The tabs and other items cause clutters and diverts your attention somewhere else. Consequently, you’ll lose your focus and accomplish less.
The Boxysuite’s Minimal Mode lets you enjoy a tidier, more responsive, and minimal Google Keep experience. Aside from that, you’ll also enjoy certain features such as Auto Dark Mode, Multiple Accounts Support, Mac Shortcuts, and many more.
How to use Boxysuite with Google Keep?
We’ve made the process of connecting your Google Keep account to Boxysuite easier. Like other supported services, you only need to log in once to launch and use it easily anytime.
All the functions of Keep are available and supported in Boxysuite. What’s more enticing is that you’ll get more features that aren’t present on Keep’s web version.
Check out our fantastic product by visiting our website today!