Google Contacts might be one of the lesser known Google services. Most users will take it for granted since it comes already preinstalled on most mobile devices. However, that doesn’t make it less useful. In fact, it’s quite the opposite.
If you’re curious to learn about this fantastic tool, you’re in the right place. Also, do you want to use it on your Mac? We’ve got the right solution for you, so please read through the end.
Google Contacts – What Is It?
If you’ve been using Google services like Gmail, Drive or Google Keep for a long time, you might be familiar with the Contacts app. Since it’s a stock application on most mobile devices, many users thought it’s not a dedicated platform. While it’s partly true a few years back, it has evolved into today’s most versatile and reliable digital contacts application.
Since its initial release way back in 2015, the tool remained free for everyone to use. Without any in-app purchases or subscription models, users can create unlimited items inside their accounts. Moreover, since it’s a Google product, it can connect seamlessly with its underlying services. If you want to learn how it integrates with such applications, please read the rest of the article.
At its core, Google Contacts is a multi-platform digital contact syncing application. With the simplified interface, lightweight, and fast performance, users with varying expertise can quickly learn to operate it. Aside from accessibility, it became more famous for its versatility. Learn more about it in the next section.
Why Use Google Contacts?
Most users with mobile devices have probably heard of, saw, or even use Google Contacts before. It’s not that popular as a dedicated platform for casual users, so it became unnoticed in many home screens and app drawers. However, it’s undeniably a significant and robust product because so many individuals and teams use it. With this in mind, the following are the reasons why should you use Google Contacts:
Free To Use
Since it’s a Google product, it’s unquestionably free. Unlike the company’s other services, this one doesn’t have any additional subscriptions or fees for extra storage, unlocking premium features, and many more. Contrary to Docs, Photos, and Gmail, the data you store in it will not count against your 15GB Google Drive storage quota. Due to this, you can store unlimited items, details, contact notes, and other related information.
As a vital feature, the app can integrate with other Google Services. If you’re inside Gmail, Hangouts, Meet, Calendar, Tasks, and even Keep, you can directly search, interact, and use the items you store on your Contacts account. Moreover, if you’re often in contact with a particular individual, Google’s algorithm will analyze and suggest saving it on your Contacts app.
Aside from the well-designed mobile applications, Google Contacts is also accessible on the web. While it’s not the ideal use case, it still works. If you want to use it natively on a Mac, please read until the end; we have an effective solution for you.
Yes, the Contacts app is free for unlimited yes; accordingly, it also supports as many devices as you like. As long as you can log in to your Google account, your contact items will also be there.
Well-maintained and Secure
Since your contacts are quite a sensitive type of information, the digital platform in which you’ll store it should be secure. If you’re looking at Google Contacts, you’ll be confident with the privacy and security measures it provides. As a Google product, it shares the same level of protection the company employs on every account. You can protect your data by using the built-in two-factor authentication, mobile phone or email verification, and many more.
As a free offering, it’s a bonus that it’s well-maintained. Due to the continually evolving digital communication form, it’s also vital that your contacts application can adapt to these technological changes. Indeed, you don’t want your contact data to be incompatible and unusable right?
It’s known that Google’s product can adapt from the most basic users to professionals. What does it mean? If you use the Contacts app, you’ll see a user-friendly interface. Without any overbearing features, it only displays the necessary components for most users.
However, suppose you’re in a corporate position and manages numerous contacts and teams, then the tool can also do it. Using labels, detailed information, and many more, you can create a systematic structure in your account. If you’re interested, let’s discuss the tool’s excellent features in the next section.
Features Of Google Contacts
Google Contacts is exceptional in the things it can do. Whether you only want a simple means to store your contacts or create a sophisticated system, you’ll feel right home with it. Regardless, Google Contacts’ features are as follows:
As mentioned above, Google Contacts is entirely free. It means that you can create, store, and access limitless items on your account. The stored data will not deduct from your Google Drive, leaving you more room for other files.
As long as you can log in to your Google account, you can access your contact data. Along with the fast and easy-to-use mobile versions, it’s also available as a web app.
When you frequently exchange messages with someone, the algorithm can detect and suggest it to your account. In the “Frequently contacted” section on your sidebar, you’ll see all the recommendations. From there, you can save, star, or delete the items you want.
Similar to tags, labels are a way to group items. For instance, you can create a label for your family, friends, and colleagues.
Export and import
If you want to migrate your data to another service or account, you can export them as either a Google CSV, Outlook CSV, or vCard file. On the other hand, if you want to use an existing file, you can easily use the import feature.
Should you want to make a piece easily accessible, you can select it as a favorite. Starred items will appear at the top of the list.
Google services integration
Easily add data when you’re using another Google application. Similarly, you can easily search and use the items you store on your Contacts account for other related services.
How To Use Google Contacts?
After reading the previous items, you’re probably interested in using this fantastic tool. If it’s right, let’s help you get started. This section will discuss how you can perform Google Contacts’s essential functions of the more versatile web version.
Create a contact
Starting with the fundamental feature, it’s an easy process to create a contact. In detail, please follow the process to get started:
1. Go to contacts.google.com and wait for it to load.
2. On the homepage, look for and click the “Create contact” button on the top of the sidebar. 3. After that, there should be a pop-up; click the “Create a contact” text.
4. In the creation screen, add the contact photo by clicking the avatar icon at the top.
5. Click the upload photo and select a file from your computer.
6. Fill up the name by selecting and typing on the “First name” and “Surname” input area.
7. If there’s any, fill in the person’s “Company” and “Job title” detail in the corresponding input fields.
8. See the mail icon and insert the email in the text field.
9. Next, input the phone number by selecting the mobile country code in the flags icon dropdown.
10. Type the remaining number details.
11. Add notes in the text area next to the paper icon.
12. If you want to open the full-fledged editor, click the “Show more” text on the bottom-left screen.
13. Inside it, you can view, interact, and fill in all other extra contact details.
14. Press the “Cancel” text at the bottom to clear the form and return to the home page.
15. Hit the “Save” button to finish the process.
16. If the Contacts app detects any new changes, it will automatically sync the data to your account across devices.
Create multiple contacts
If you want to add multiple contacts at once, you can do so with the app. To get started, please follow these items:
1. On the homepage, click the “Create contact” button.
2. On the pop-up, select the “Create multiple contacts” text button.
3. In the only text field, type in the contacts separated with ‘,’ commas after every email.
4. An example would be John Doe, firstname.lastname@example.org, Mary Jane, email@example.com.
5. After that, you can hit the “Cancel” text to clear the pop-up and return to the homepage.
6. Select the “Create” text to save the data.
7. The Contacts app will save and sync new changes in your account across your devices.
Suppose you saved numerous contacts; scrolling to find one will be time-consuming. In that case, you can perform a search:
1. In the header, look for and click the magnifying glass icon.
2. In the “Search” text field, type the name of the item.
3. If there’s a match, it will pop-up as a live search result below.
4. Click it to open and perform several functions.
If you want quicker access to a particular contact, you can make it a favorite. Moving on, please follow these steps:
1. You can see your saved items on the homepage or the “Contacts” section from the hamburger menu sidebar.
2. Please select an item, hover your mouse to it, and click the star icon inside it.
3. Review if the star icon turned into a color blue filled shape.
4. After that, there should be a new “STARRED CONTACTS” section on the list’s top. 5. All your starred contacts will show up there.
Edit, Delete and Restore Contacts
To make changes, you can edit or delete a contact. The editing process looks like this:
1. On the “Contacts” section, choose an item.
2. Select, hover, and click the pen icon.
3. Inside it, you’ll see similar details and text fields when you’re creating a contact.
4. To edit, click the texts, type, delete, or add other data.
5. If you want to open the full-fledged editor, click the “Show more” text.
6. Press the “Cancel” button to revert the changes.
7. Hit the “Save” text to sync the changes in your account.
On the other hand, the deletion process looks like this:
1. On the “Contacts” section, choose an item.
2. Select, hover, and click the three-dotted menu inside it.
3. After that, a pop-up should appear.
4. Click the “Delete” option.
5. Press “Cancel” to stop the operation or “Delete” text to proceed.
6. If you press the “Delete” button, the item will move to the “Bin” section accessible via the hamburger menu sidebar.
If you want to manage the deleted items, please follow accordingly:
1. Hit the hamburger-menu in the header.
2. In the sidebar, select the “Bin” text.
3. Inside it, you’ll see all the deleted items.
4. Click something and choose if you want to “Delete forever” or “Recover” to restore it.
5. To batch manage, hover among items and tick each checkbox inside them.
6. After selection, click the “Delete forever” or “Recover” to restore them.
7. Should you want a quicker decision, you can press the “Empty bin now” text at the top of the screen to clear all items in the bin.
Labels are an excellent way to organize your data. To use this feature, please read the following:
1. Hit the “Create contact” button.
2. Fill in all details.
3. At the top, click the “No label” button.
4. Press the “New label” to add one.
5. Type the name of the new label and press the “enter” key on the keyboard.
6. Click the label button again to add a new label or replace it by selecting another label on the list.
If you want to edit and delete labels or view contacts under a specific label, these steps will guide you:
1. Click the hamburger-menu in the header.
2. Inside the sidebar, you’ll see a section called “Labels.”
3. Under it, click each pen icon to rename or trash icon to delete.
4. Press the label to view all contacts saved under it.
Import and Export Contacts
If you want to import or export google contacts app data, you can choose among different file formats. Regardless, the export process should look like this:
1. Click the hamburger-menu in the header.
2. See and press the “Export” text.
3. By default, the “Contacts” item is selected in the dropdown.
4. Click it to choose what contacts to export under a label or section.
5. Next, choose between Google CSV, Outlook CSV, or vCard for iTunes backup. 6. Hit “Cancel” to stop the operation or press the “Export” text to proceed.
7. After that, the system will ask to save the file; click save, and you’re good to go. 8. If you want to choose specific items, go back to the homepage, hover on items, and tick each checkbox.
9. After selection, go back to the sidebar, press the “Export” text, and repeat the process above.
To demonstrate the import process, use the newly exported file. Next, follow these items accordingly:
1. Go to the sidebar and select the “Import” button.
2. Press the “Select file” button.
3. After that, a file directory pop-up should appear.
4. Look for the exported file in the Downloads folder, select, and open it.
5. Back in the import pop-up, you should see the file name beside the “Select file” button. 6. Hit “Cancel” or the “Import” text to proceed.
7. Naturally, the app will add all contacts along with their complete details to your list.
If you no longer want to backup contacts to Google or needs a copy of all your data, you can use the print feature:
1. Click the hamburger menu to open the sidebar.
2. In the sidebar, select the “Print” text.
3. Press the dropdown to choose what contacts to print from a label or section.
4. After selection, press “Cancel” to clear the task or “Print” to get your file.
5. Configure the page and printer and click the “Print” button to finish the process.
6. If you want to be specific, go back to the home screen, hover on items, and tick each checkbox.
7. After selection, return to the sidebar, press the “Print” text, and repeat the process above.
Google Contacts For Mac – Boxysuite
Google Contacts is indeed a fantastic tool to keep track of your contacts. While it works smoothly on mobile devices, it can get a little unproductive, impractical, and inaccessible offline on browsers.
If you have too many tabs open in Chrome, different things can divert your attention, which can hamper your productivity. As a result, we developed Boxysuite.
Made by fellow Google services lovers, Boxysuite provides an excellent and distraction-free space for Google Contacts, Calendar, Gmail, and Keep.
If you want the best experience for these fantastic Google tools in Mac, look no further than Boxysuite. As a native app, you’ll enjoy many such benefits as Multiple Account Support, System Linked Dark Theme, Advanced Keyboard Shortcuts, Sleek Interface, and many more.