We must admit that the Gmail provider has a simple and smart solution for every problem or challenge that may arise in the emailing process. Moreover, it is the perfect provider for those that appreciate fast and productive work. Among all the useful features found in our Gmail guide, setting up canned responses is the most convenient one for reducing the working time to better increase the work efficiency.
Canned responses in Gmail serve several purposes. They can be used as the most frequently replying content for greater efficiency. Moreover, they can be used in conjunctions with filters to set up autoresponder in Gmail. Additionally, they can be used for setting up additional signatures for the same Gmail account.
In Gmail, there is automation for every repetitive task that you might be faced with. In fact, you can use a Gmail app to streamline the features for excellent work proficiency and expediency.
How to Create Gmail Тemplates for Canned Responses
Creating Gmail templates that you can later use as canned responses in Gmail is a very smart feature when it comes to saving time spent on replying to emails. Moreover, organizations, businesses and individuals also, often receive a vast number of emails that require a similar or the same answer. For that matter, Gmail offers the canned responses option that enables users to send previously created templates for repetitive messages.
You can create one or more Gmail templates that will be saved under the name “canned responses.” Moreover, spending some time in creating those templates now can save you lots of time later. At first, you need to enable the canned responses option in your Gmail.
- Click on the gear icon in the top right corner of your page
- Click on “Settings”
- Click on the “Advanced” tab in the menu
- “Canned responses” option will appear first on the list – click “Enable” to start the process
Once you enable the canned responses option in your Gmail, you can start creating your email templates.
- Start by clicking “Compose” new message in Gmail
- Type the message you wish to save as a template
- Click on the three dots located in the bottom right corner of the “new message” page
- Click on “canned responses”
- Click on “save draft as a template,” then click “save as new template”
- A new window will show up on the screen where you can add a name to your template
- Name your template and click “save”
The templates you’ve created will be saved in your Gmail under the assigned name. You can use them anytime as a fast response to certain messages.
How to Use Your Gmail Email Templates as Gmail’s Canned Responses
Gmail email templates are very convenient and easy to use. Every time you want to reply to an email using a template that you’ve already created, you need to follow these steps:
- Open the email you wish to reply to
- Click on “Reply”
- Click on the three vertical dots located in the bottom right of the page
- On the pop-up menu select the “canned responses” option
- You will find the name/s of your template/s under “insert template” text
- Click on the specific template you wish to use and Gmail will automatically add it as your new message to the recipient
- Click “send”
How to Edit or Overwrite a Canned Response
You can easily edit or rewrite your existing templates / canned responses in Gmail. If you do wish to make some amendments, here are the guidelines:
- Click on “Compose” new message in Gmail
- On the bottom right of the “new message” window click on the three vertical dots
- Click on “canned responses”
- Choose the template you wish to edit, overwrite or rewrite
- The full message will appear on the screen – you can now make the amendments
- When you finish editing, click on “save draft as template”
- The name of the template will appear under the “overwrite template” text.
- By clicking on the name of the template a new window will appear on the screen asking you if you do wish to overwrite the specific template
- Click “save” in order to add the changes
If you want to add a completely new canned response under a previously existing name, you can paste your draft with the new template and then save it under the existing canned response name you wish to change.
If you wish to delete a canned response, you need to follow the same steps until you open the specific template. Then by clicking the three dots – then on canned responses, you will see all your templates there. At the bottom of the pop-up menu, you will find the delete template option. Click on it, choose the template you wish to delete and click on the delete button.
Setting Up an Auto Reply with Email Templates for Canned Responses
Once you save a template as a canned response in Gmail, you can use it as an auto-response for specific messages. Enabling this option might be a little more complicated, but it’s worth the effort. However, for those who are seeking a smoother Gmail experience, we recommend you to start using the Boxy Suite app with additional, powerful features.
- In the Settings menu, click on the “Filters and Blocked Addresses” tab
- Click on the “create a new filter” option
- In the window that will pop up next, you can choose custom rules for your new filter
- Once you finish (adding specific subjects, emails with specific words, recipients,etc.) click on “create filter”
- On the next window, find the option “send canned responses,” and you can choose the canned response you wish to use
- Again click on “create filter”
According to the rules you have chosen for your filter, Gmail will auto-respond to any email that fits the criteria using the specific canned response. This feature can be useful to personalize the autoresponder in Gmail. Moreover, it can be very useful for times when you are out of the office or taking time off from work.
Auto-reply canned responses are often used by customer services to greet customers and give them a timeframe for a response. Additionally, it is used for contests or giveaways, shipping confirmations and service providers.