Google Contacts might be one of the lesser known Google services. Most users will take it for granted since it comes already preinstalled on most mobile devices. However, that doesn’t make it less useful. In fact, it’s quite the opposite.
If you’re curious to learn about this fantastic tool, you’re in the right place. Also, do you want to use it on your Mac? We’ve got the right solution for you, so please read through the end.
What is Google Contacts?
If you’ve been using Google services like Gmail, Drive or Google Keep for a long time, you might be familiar with the Contacts app. Since it’s a stock application on most mobile devices, many users thought it’s not a dedicated platform. While it’s partly true a few years back, it has evolved into today’s most versatile and reliable digital contacts application.
Since its initial release way back in 2015, the tool remained free for everyone to use. Without any in-app purchases or subscription models, users can create unlimited items inside their accounts. Moreover, since it’s a Google product, it can connect seamlessly with its underlying services. If you want to learn how it integrates with such applications, please read the rest of the article.
At its core, Google Contacts is a multi-platform digital contact syncing application. With the simplified interface, lightweight, and fast performance, users with varying expertise can quickly learn to operate it. Aside from accessibility, it became more famous for its versatility. Learn more about it in the next section.
How To Use Google Contacts?
Interested in using Google Contacts as your go to tool for user tracking, contacts backup and various other features offered by it. If it’s right, let’s help you get started. This section will discuss how you can perform Google Contacts’ essential functions of the more versatile web version.
Create a Contact
Starting with the fundamental feature, it’s an easy process to create a contact. In detail, please follow the process to get started:
1. Go to contacts.google.com and wait for it to load.
2. On the homepage, look for and click the “Create contact” button on the top of the sidebar. 3. After that, there should be a pop-up; click the “Create a contact” text.
4. In the creation screen, add the contact photo by clicking the avatar icon at the top.
5. Click the upload photo and select a file from your computer.
6. Fill up the name by selecting and typing on the “First name” and “Surname” input area.
7. If there’s any, fill in the person’s “Company” and “Job title” detail in the corresponding input fields.
8. See the mail icon and insert the email in the text field.
9. Next, input the phone number by selecting the mobile country code in the flags icon dropdown.
10. Type the remaining number details.
11. Add notes in the text area next to the paper icon.
12. If you want to open the full-fledged editor, click the “Show more” text on the bottom-left screen.
13. Inside it, you can view, interact, and fill in all other extra contact details.
14. Press the “Cancel” text at the bottom to clear the form and return to the home page.
15. Hit the “Save” button to finish the process.
16. If the Contacts app detects any new changes, it will automatically sync the data to your account across devices.
Create multiple contacts
If you want to add multiple contacts at once, you can do so with the app. To get started, please follow these items:
1. On the homepage, click the “Create contact” button.
2. On the pop-up, select the “Create multiple contacts” text button.
3. In the only text field, type in the contacts separated with ‘,’ commas after every email.
4. An example would be John Doe, firstname.lastname@example.org, Mary Jane, email@example.com.
5. After that, you can hit the “Cancel” text to clear the pop-up and return to the homepage.
6. Select the “Create” text to save the data.
7. The Contacts app will save and sync new changes in your account across your devices.
Suppose you saved numerous contacts; scrolling to find one will be time-consuming. In that case, you can perform a search:
1. In the header, look for and click the magnifying glass icon.
2. In the “Search” text field, type the name of the item.
3. If there’s a match, it will pop-up as a live search result below.
4. Click it to open and perform several functions.
If you want quicker access to a particular contact, you can make it a favorite. Moving on, please follow these steps:
1. You can see your saved items on the homepage or the “Contacts” section from the hamburger menu sidebar.
2. Please select an item, hover your mouse to it, and click the star icon inside it.
3. Review if the star icon turned into a color blue filled shape.
4. After that, there should be a new “STARRED CONTACTS” section on the list’s top. 5. All your starred contacts will show up there.
Edit, Delete and Restore Contacts
To make changes, you can edit or delete a contact. The editing process looks like this:
1. On the “Contacts” section, choose an item.
2. Select, hover, and click the pen icon.
3. Inside it, you’ll see similar details and text fields when you’re creating a contact.
4. To edit, click the texts, type, delete, or add other data.
5. If you want to open the full-fledged editor, click the “Show more” text.
6. Press the “Cancel” button to revert the changes.
7. Hit the “Save” text to sync the changes in your account.
On the other hand, the deletion process looks like this:
1. On the “Contacts” section, choose an item.
2. Select, hover, and click the three-dotted menu inside it.
3. After that, a pop-up should appear.
4. Click the “Delete” option.
5. Press “Cancel” to stop the operation or “Delete” text to proceed.
6. If you press the “Delete” button, the item will move to the “Bin” section accessible via the hamburger menu sidebar.
If you want to manage the deleted items, please follow accordingly:
1. Hit the hamburger-menu in the header.
2. In the sidebar, select the “Bin” text.
3. Inside it, you’ll see all the deleted items.
4. Click something and choose if you want to “Delete forever” or “Recover” to restore it.
5. To batch manage, hover among items and tick each checkbox inside them.
6. After selection, click the “Delete forever” or “Recover” to restore them.
7. Should you want a quicker decision, you can press the “Empty bin now” text at the top of the screen to clear all items in the bin.
Labels are an excellent way to organize your data. To use this feature, please read the following:
1. Hit the “Create contact” button.
2. Fill in all details.
3. At the top, click the “No label” button.
4. Press the “New label” to add one.
5. Type the name of the new label and press the “enter” key on the keyboard.
6. Click the label button again to add a new label or replace it by selecting another label on the list.
If you want to edit and delete labels or view contacts under a specific label, these steps will guide you:
1. Click the hamburger-menu in the header.
2. Inside the sidebar, you’ll see a section called “Labels.”
3. Under it, click each pen icon to rename or trash icon to delete.
4. Press the label to view all contacts saved under it.
Import and Export Contacts
If you want to import or export google contacts app data, you can choose among different file formats. Regardless, the export process should look like this:
1. Click the hamburger-menu in the header.
2. See and press the “Export” text.
3. By default, the “Contacts” item is selected in the dropdown.
4. Click it to choose what contacts to export under a label or section.
5. Next, choose between Google CSV, Outlook CSV, or vCard for iTunes backup. 6. Hit “Cancel” to stop the operation or press the “Export” text to proceed.
7. After that, the system will ask to save the file; click save, and you’re good to go. 8. If you want to choose specific items, go back to the homepage, hover on items, and tick each checkbox.
9. After selection, go back to the sidebar, press the “Export” text, and repeat the process above.
To demonstrate the import process, use the newly exported file. Next, follow these items accordingly:
1. Go to the sidebar and select the “Import” button.
2. Press the “Select file” button.
3. After that, a file directory pop-up should appear.
4. Look for the exported file in the Downloads folder, select, and open it.
5. Back in the import pop-up, you should see the file name beside the “Select file” button. 6. Hit “Cancel” or the “Import” text to proceed.
7. Naturally, the app will add all contacts along with their complete details to your list.
If you no longer want to backup contacts to Google or needs a copy of all your data, you can use the print feature:
1. Click the hamburger menu to open the sidebar.
2. In the sidebar, select the “Print” text.
3. Press the dropdown to choose what contacts to print from a label or section.
4. After selection, press “Cancel” to clear the task or “Print” to get your file.
5. Configure the page and printer and click the “Print” button to finish the process.
6. If you want to be specific, go back to the home screen, hover on items, and tick each checkbox.
7. After selection, return to the sidebar, press the “Print” text, and repeat the process above.
Google Contacts For Mac – Boxysuite
Google Contacts is indeed a fantastic tool to keep track of your contacts. While it works smoothly on mobile devices, it can get a little unproductive, impractical, and inaccessible offline on browsers.
If you have too many tabs open in Chrome, different things can divert your attention, which can hamper your productivity. As a result, we developed Boxysuite.
Made by fellow Google services lovers, Boxysuite provides an excellent and distraction-free space for Google Contacts, Calendar, Gmail, and Keep.
If you want the best experience for these fantastic Google tools in Mac, look no further than Boxysuite. As a native app, you’ll enjoy many such benefits as Multiple Account Support, System Linked Dark Theme, Advanced Keyboard Shortcuts, Sleek Interface, and many more.